SuperStream is a Government reform aimed at improving the efficiency of the superannuation system.
It is a standard that entails employers to deliver payments and the connected data to super funds in an automated format.
SuperStream is the way businesses must pay employee superannuation guarantee contributions to super funds. With SuperStream money and data are sent electronically in a standard format.
It must be used by employers, SMSF and APRA – regulated funds.
The change over to Superstream will:
- allow the use of tax file numbers as the primary locator of member accounts
- encourage the use of technology to improve processing efficiency
- improve the way rollovers are processed and the way contributions are made.
SuperStream transmits money and data reliably across the super system – amongst employers, funds, service providers and the ATO. The data is connected to the payment by a unique payment reference number.
Benefits to employers include:
- All contributions can be process in a singular transaction
- Faster processing, efficiency and fewer errors
- Less data issues and fund queries
- Lowered cost of processing contributions and payments
- Reliable links to reduce lost accounts
Superstream does not only benefit employers, it also benefits employees.
- provides better information about the amount and timing of superannuation payments to employees
- provide notification from funds to members on whether contributions have or have not been received.
Want to know more about Superstream and how it can affect you?